As the world continues to deal with the coronavirus pandemic and government officials putting restrictions on a lot of things we love to do, as well as recommending social distancing and self-quarantine practices, it’s only natural for us to feel uneasy and nervous about the disease and how we can stay protected while staying sane. I’ve dealt with anxiety in the past but add a global pandemic to the mix and I have found myself having many sleepless nights, leading to increased stress, stress eating, and creating unhealthy habits.
Now more than ever, it is so important to take care of ourselves and prioritize our mental, emotional and physical health.
When I start to feel the anxiety creeping in, it’s important for me to acknowledge it and remind myself that it’s perfectly normal to be anxious during this crazy time. To help me manage my anxiety, I have been practicing these 22 things that have been life changing and have really helped calm my nervous system.
22 Ways to Reduce Anxiety
- Wake up at least an hour before the kids (this is my sacred time. My alone, quiet time). I make my coffee and drink it in silence.
- Start my day with gratitude and write down 3 things I am grateful for in my gratitude journal. For example: I am grateful for my yummy coffee that helps me to wake up, or I am grateful for a warm bed to sleep in. The more grateful you are, the more you will find yourself looking for things to be grateful for throughout the day.
- Write down your 10 dreams as if they have already happened. No dream is too big. Think limitless possibilities and write it down and read it out loud for the universe to hear. For example: I spend an entire month traveling through Italy.
- Do a minimum of 30 minutes of sweaty exercise. For me, I do a ride on my Peloton. Any workout that leaves you sweaty and gets your heart rate up is good for you physically and mentally.
- 10 minutes of Meditation daily + breathing exercises. You can do a guided meditation through Apps like Calm or Headspace.
- Write my thoughts in my journal. Sometimes doing a brain dump and writing it down on paper helps me release my thoughts and sleep better.
- Eat clean and limit processed foods, sugar and dairy.
- Read for at least 30 minutes before going to sleep. I love both fiction and non-fiction books and usually spend at least an hour reading a day.
- Only drink 1 cup of coffee a day and no caffeine after 10am
- Plan my months, weeks and days in my Law of Attraction Planner and write down what I wish to accomplish. I don’t beat myself up if not everything gets completed.
- Put my phone away in another room and take a break from the incessant need to check my phone. Doing this has helped me be so much more productive as well.
- Plan upcoming trips with my family, whether its a day trip or a week long trip, it relaxes me to plan something to look forward to. Since we are currently in quarantine, I plan lots of day trips and look for places we can go as a family that allows us to be out in nature.
- Eliminate alcohol completely and only drink during special occasions.
- Limit the amount of news I consume and stop focusing on things I cannot control.
- Limit the amount of time I spend on social media and instead focus on more productive things like playing with my kids, cooking a yummy meal or reading/writing. I also do a social media audit and unfollow accounts/people that no longer align with my views or bring me value.
- Clean and organize my home. It is therapeutic to purge closets, and get rid of items that “no longer bring me joy”. A clean and organized environment makes me feel more calm and at peace.
- Get outside! Being out in nature instantly makes me feel better. Whether it’s a picnic at the park, taking a walk/hike or heading to the beach. A breath of fresh air is the best medicine there is!
- Comparison is the thief of joy. I focus on me and let others focus on them. I remind myself of all that I have accomplished in my life, write it down and read it out loud to myself.
- I give back to my community through volunteer time and donations.
- Watch a really good show or movie. My favorite kind to binge watch are British period piece dramas like Downton Abbey, The Crown and Bridgerton! They make me so happy!
- I cook or bake. For some this causes more stress but for me it literally relaxes me to be in the kitchen cooking and baking something yummy for my family.
- I reach out to a friend who always cheers me up!
What are some the ways you deal with anxiety and stress during this unprecedented time? Let me know in the comments below! Whatever it is, I truly wish you inner peace, love and happiness.