One of my favorite dishes to make for the kids when I have a little bit of extra time in the morning is fried rice. It’s hearty, delicious and a great way for me to get them to eat vegetables.
Last week I purchased a new cast iron wok and I was excited to give it a try so I decided to make fried rice on Saturday. I usually do a different variation of fried rice depending on what I have in the fridge but this time, we had just bought some bacon so I made bacon fried rice! You can switch out the bacon with Chinese sausage that you can find at any asian market, Spam, or even leave the meat out completely and keep it vegetarian. Trust me, it’ll taste just as good.
TIP: When making fried rice, make sure you are working with day old rice. It’s easier to cook fried rice when the rice is dry and and not freshly cooked and still moist.
Now, I don’t know if it’s the new wok I purchased or what but this was the best fried rice I have ever made! The kids gobbled it up and asked for seconds and I was happy to oblige.
I topped mine with a fried egg and drizzled some Sriracha sauce on top for a little heat but thats completely optional. You do you!
Try this super quick recipe for breakfast, lunch or even dinner. It’s a great way to use leftover ingredients and clean out your fridge!
5 Cloves of garlic minced
2 stalks of green onion (whites separated)
1 small shallot diced
6 slices of thick bacon
1/2 of a 1 lb. bag of frozen mixed vegetables
2 cups of cold day old rice
2-3 tbsp of butter
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tsp of avocado oil
2 eggs beaten
fresh ground pepper
- In a large wok, fry the bacon until crispy and set aside on a paper towel lined plate
- Discard 80% of the bacon grease but leave the rest in the wok
- On medium heat, add the butter
- Add the garlic, shallots and white parts of the green onion
- (At this point, your kitchen will smell AH-MAZING!)
- Sauté for a minute making sure the garlic doesn’t burn
- Add the rice and mix everything together really well using a rice paddle and a spatula
- Add the frozen vegetables and mix well again for a few minutes
- Make a well with the rice and add the avocado oil
- Add the eggs and let it cook for about a minute
- Mix it all together again and add freshly ground pepper and soy sauce
- Mix, mix, mix and finally add the bacon and the green parts of the green onion
Add a fried egg and drizzle Sriracha sauce on top if you’re feeling a little sassy.