Going out to brunch on Sundays with Rowell use to be our thing to do on the weekends. That is, before we had kids. Now it takes a little more effort to be out of the house by 10am and long lines at a popular restaurant don’t bode well with the kids. So.. we decided that if we can’t go out for brunch, then why not just make brunch at home?
I get spoiled on the weekends because Rowell usually makes breakfast and lets me sleep in a little. My absolute favorite brunch dish that he makes are scrambled eggs with tomatoes, avocado and chives on toasted sourdough bread. It is SO good! The eggs are cooked slow so they’re almost cheesy without any cheese. The trick is to cook the eggs as slow as humanly possible and this will seriously test your patience but the result is amazing and the avocado, tomatoes and chives give it such a refreshing taste. Plus, its not too heavy so it doesn’t put you in a food coma after and you’re still able to be productive.
The recipe is by Gordon Ramsey and Rowell found it on Youtube. You can watch the video here. We have a modified version and swapped out the mushrooms for avocado because we are Californian after all.
Mr. Ramsey would be proud.
Here is what you will need for 2 servings = 2 scrambled egg toasts
6 Cherry tomatoes sliced in half
2 inches of Chives
1 Fresh loaf of sourdough bread
1 tsp Olive oil
2 tbsp Butter
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat pan to medium low heat
- Slap 1 tbsp of butter on the pan and melt
- Crack 4 eggs into the pan
- Whisk eggs with spatula
- Continue whisking as the egg breaks down
- Cut 2 slices of sourdough bread and toast it
- Remove the pan from heat occasionally to prevent eggs from over cooking but continue whisking
- Eggs will continue to cook and become creamy
- Place the pan back on the heat and continue whisking until the eggs start to curd. The eggs will begin to look fluffy.
- When the eggs begin to look cooked, place your toasted sourdough bread on a plate
- Pour the eggs over the sourdough bread
- With the heat still on, place sliced cherry tomatoes on the pan and cook for about 2 minutes
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the eggs
- Slice up some chives and sprinkle over the eggs
- Cut open the avocado and dice it up into small squares
- Place the avocados over the eggs
- Pour the cherry tomatoes over the avocado
- Drizzle olive oil over the cherry tomatoes
- Bite into it and enjoy